Cold Swedish Winter
Radio 4 sitcom about a stand-up comedian moving to a Swedish village
Geoff, a marginally successful stand-up comic from London, is moving to the tiny, cold and unpronounceable village of Yxsjö in northern Sweden; a culture shock forced on him by his Swedish girlfriend Linda's decision to move home to raise their child. This series follows his first year attempting to settle in his new home, each episode set in a different season.
Geoff has to contend with snow, moose, pickled herring, unemployment, snow, Maypole dancing, snowmobiles, snow, meatball rolling, saunas, social democracy, snow, the weirdest pizzas in Europe, bears, deep forests, death metal, illegal alcohol, snow... Above all he has a new family to contend with. The Andersson's bewilder him - from father Sten, who has a worrying tendency to growl like a bear and threaten him with any blunt instrument to hand to Gunilla (playwright and comedian Anna-Lena Bergelin), who threatens him with naked folk-dancing. It's worth it all for Linda, of course, apart from her new found urge to conform with everything and except for her brother, a Goth with a propensity to set fire to things.
And his fellow immigrants are no less unsettling: Ian, a divorcee, who has been depressed for the last eight years and Soran, a Danish Kurd with Swedophobia.
No MP3s found. The MP3 files used by this podcast appear to be missing. They may have been removed permanently from their source location.
- 101 Winter (unknown file size)
- 102 Spring (unknown file size)
- 103 Summer (unknown file size)
- 104 Autumn (unknown file size)
- 201 Winter (unknown file size)
- 202 Spring (unknown file size)
- 203 Summer (unknown file size)
- 204 Autumn (unknown file size)
- 301 Spring Wedding Venues (unknown file size)
- 302 Summer New Swedes (unknown file size)
- 303 Autumn Wedding (unknown file size)
- 304 Winter The Latte Pappas (unknown file size)
MP3 files hosted by archive.org.