Patricia Highsmith BBC Radio Collection
The definitive collection of dramatisations and readings of Patricia Highsmith's finest fiction.
A master of the psychological crime genre, Patricia Highsmith is most famous for her quintet of best-selling Ripley novels, and her groundbreaking thriller Strangers on a Train (notably adapted as a classic film by Alfred Hitchcock).
The five Ripley BBC dramas can be accessed separately, on this page:
This extensive collection encompasses some of her best-known works, as well as selected short stories. Included here are dramatisations of Strangers on a Train (starring Anton Lesser, Michael Sheen, Saskia Reeves and Bill Nighy); Patricia Highsmith's compelling tale of obsession, The Cry of the Owl (starring John Tharian, Adrian Lester and Joanne McQuinn); and the dark, intriguing domestic noir A Suspension of Mercy (starring Stuart Milligan and Janet Maw).
Highsmith's tender, unsettling lesbian love story Carol is abridged and read by Zo? Wanamaker, and there are abridged readings of her short stories 'The Dangerous Hobby', 'Variations on a Game' (both read by Campbell Scott) and 'The Trouble with Mrs Blynn, the Trouble with the World' (read by Anna Massey). Five more unabridged stories, 'The Cries of Love', 'The Snail-Watcher', 'The Breeder', 'Notes from a Respectable Cockroach' and 'Goat Ride', are read by Helen Horton, John Webb, Garrick Hagon, William Hootkins and Crawford Logan.
- The Cry of the Owl part 1 (25.8Mb)
- The Cry of the Owl part 2 (25.6Mb)
- The Cry of the Owl part 3 (25.8Mb)
- The Cry of the Owl part 4 (25.6Mb)
- A Suspension of Mercy (78Mb)
- Strangers on a Train (52.5Mb)
- Carol (154Mb)
- The Dangerous Hobby (23.3Mb)
- Variations on a Game (23.9Mb)
- The Trouble with Mrs Blynn, the Trouble with the World (12.9Mb)
- The Cries of Love (13.5Mb)
- The Snail-Watcher (13.4Mb)
- The Breeder (13.3Mb)
- Notes from a Respectable Cockroach (13.1Mb)
- Goat Ride (13.1Mb)
MP3 files hosted by archive.org.